Fist off, one of my very good friends, Diana had her baby girl May 16. I am SO excited! We've been pregnant together pretty much our entire pregnancies, and it is very weird for her not to be pregnant anymore, means Jackson's arrival getting close!! Abby is so freaking adorable, and seems to be an easy, quiet but alert baby.
So cute!! And Abby being here just makes me even MORE excited about Jackson's arrival. I can not wait, it still seems so far away though!
On a downer note, that week I also found out I have Gestational Diabetes. In a nutshell, this means that the hormones from the placenta are keeping me from producing enough insulin to combat my blood sugar levels, which means I need to watch my sugar (carb) intake, and monitor with a glucose meter 4 times a day. While this isn't the best news ever, I'm glad I seem to be able to control my sugars with my diet, so as long as I'm careful everything will be fine. The bad stuff about GD is a larger birth weight, a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes for me later in life, and if I don't control my sugars, Jackson has a higher chance for Type 1 diabetes. So all good reasons to be careful about this.
Last weekend was my friend Kelly's bridal shower, She is getting married July 28, so while I will most likely not be able to attend the wedding since I'll either have a newborn or ALMOST have a newborn by then, I have tried to stay as involved as I can with her planning process. So that Friday I took the trip up to Fresno. The drive was long and uncomfortable, Jackson's feet are now in my ribs and lungs, which makes sitting for long periods of time not so much fun. But it was a really great weekend, it was good to see my friends!!
Yummy Cupcakes, none for me though! But they were just too pretty!!
There is the bride!
So this week was busy but really fairly boring, We interviewed a pediatrician, didn't like him...have another interview this week, hopeful that will go well. Lamaze Wednesday, we learned positions and breathing techniques. I feel much better about the whole natural birthing process after that class (please, if you have nothing encouraging to say about natural child birth, don't say anything. I realize it is rare in the United States, and I know there are pain relief methods. I've done my homework and have made this choice. Encouraging words only.) Thursday was my meeting with the diabetes coordinator and dietitian to figure out what my limits are, and my OB appointment. I have a good grasp on nutrition and all that, so those meetings went really well. OB is happy with everything.
This weekend was our "babymoon". Kevin and I decided to head down to Escondido for a little getaway. Kevin has become quite the beer snob, and there are several breweries down south, so we wanted to go visit them. We left Friday afternoon and headed right to Lost Abby/Port Brewing company. This was a teeny tiny little tasting room. In a warehouse, the brewery is visible from the tasting area. We really enjoyed this place, small and intimate. We headed back there Sunday for Kevin to pick up a growler of Judgment Day, Lost Abby's Belgian Quad.
First taster of the trip! (Tasters were only a buck here, amazing!!)
On Tap
The bar
Their "tables" and "chairs" were old Bourbon casks, and empty kegs with sugar bags on top.
The brewing operation
We headed to Fish House Vera Cruz after that stop. This is one of our favorite places, totally fresh fish and all around delicious food. After dinner we went down to the Port Brewing bottle shop. This place has a ton of hard to find beers and local goodies. It was pretty crowded, but Kevin still found some stuff he liked.
We went to our hotel after that, it was a pretty nice place Kevin found on hotels.com, Motel Mediteran. Big room, nice bathroom, overall a really good stay. The bed wasn't the best, but we're hard to please when it comes to beds...
Saturday was Stone day. I had a prenatal massage scheduled, and that was WONDERFUL. They had pads so I could lay on my belly, and that felt amazing. Anita, my therapist, was great. Nothing painful, just a feel good, relaxing massage. I went back to Stone, where I had dropped Kevin before my massage, and we hung out there for lunch and several hours more. Kevin was well into his cups, enjoying everything they had to offer. The whole property is just gorgeous there, a little haven in the middle of Escondido.
Beer and Growler of Double Bastard
The table decoration was a hop plant, so cool!
I just love the details on the Growlers.
Our view from our table, big park-like area. Lots of kids running around, people just hanging out.
2009 Double Bastard
Strolling through the gardens
Buddha!!
And finally, nothing like the preggo carrying around a Growler-baby....
We went back to the hotel for a few hours after Stone, then headed out to a Five Guys we saw while driving around. We hadn't eaten there before, and had heard the buzz, so decided to try it. Verdict? In-N-Out is better. The fries didn't even compare. And the burgers were just totally different. The Five Guys deal is they have a TON of toppings and stuff for the burgers, so you can get all different combos. Not like In-N-Out at all, but overall, if they were side by side, In-N-Out gets our business. Went to the BevMo after that, Kevin got some more beers that we can't find up this way.
Sunday was our last day. :( We stopped by Lost Abby again and got Kevin's growler and a glass (we collect pint glasses from every brewery we visit) and then went to Pizza Port in Carlsbad. This is owned by Port Brewing company, and is a pretty cool little place. The pizza was amazing, and Kevin enjoyed his beers there too. I didn't take any photos there because I suck. Sorry.
Home we came after that. Now we're enjoying the day off work (well Kevin is being a good husband and puttering around the house doing little jobs) and aren't ready to go back tomorrow!
May has been super busy for you. Diana's baby is just so sweet. Next is your turn and I just can't wait! EEEEEEEEE!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I am loving the photo of you carting around the beer! HA! SO FUNNY!
Have you hired a doula? Helping women with natural child birth is exactly the reason I am working on my certification. I'm excited to hear it is something you want to try!
ReplyDeleteI decided against a doula. Mostly because Mom will be there, and I'm pretty motivated and aware enough of the medical stuff to be my own advocate about that, and Mom is good with that stuff too. But if you happen to be in town... ;) I've thought about doing doula training too. I think Lactation Consultant is more where my passion lies though, but I feel like I need to do it before I do it.
Delete